Stevenage United Reformed Church
Stevenage United Reformed Church, Cuttys Lane, started in January 1952 when a few Congregationalists met on Sunday evenings in a house in Wildwood Lane. They moved to a community hut in Six Hills Way in December that year. Support was given by the Knebworth Congregational Church and High Street Methodists. As the congregation grew they moved into an unused builders’ hut in Elder Way. Meanwhile plans were in hand for a church to be built in Cuttys Lane. This would be the first non-conformist church in the new town.
The building was opened in September 1954 and a service was conducted by the Minister elect Reverend Ernest Wimpress, who would remain as minister for the next 36 years. The official start of the Congregational Church was in May 1957 when 50 people signed a Covenant - which is still hanging in the Church today.
In 1972 the members voted to become part of the United Reformed Church, which had been formed from the coming together of the Congregational Churches of England and Wales and the Presbyterian Church in England.
Since then the Church has continued to serve the local area and to participate in the work of the wider Church, being one of the founder members of what is now Churches Together in Stevenage.
The church building is multi-purpose, being used for worship on Sundays and for a variety of purposes in the week. Originally it was envisaged that eventually a new church would be built and the present building be used as a church hall, but in 1970 an annexe with several smaller rooms was built, as this was found to be more suitable for the various activities that were taking place. This annexe has now been updated to comply with the latest regulations for disabled access.
The church today offers a friendly welcome to all who wish to worship or learn about the Lord Jesus.